Home | Legacy Firefox Extensions | Content Policy | Contact
General features for all versions of Firefox:
Special features by version of Firefox:
- Menu item in the "File" menu and a toolbar button, for easy restart of Firefox on demand.
If you need the toolbar button, right-click on any toolbar and select "Customize ...", or go to menu
"View -> Toolbars" and select "Customize ...", or in Firefox 29+, open the menu panel and select
"Customize" at the bottom of the menu.
Once you locate the "Restart" button, you can drag and place it on any toolbar of Firefox.
Right-clicking the button, you can access directly extension's options.
Also, in versions 4 - 28 of Firefox, there is a menu item in the application menu too.
- Option to select icon.
- Option to remove the icon from the menu item in "File" menu (from menu item in application menu
too, in versions 4 - 28 of Firefox).
- Customizable keyboard shortcut, with option to disable it or to remove only the indication from
restart menu items, without disable the shortcut.
- Detection of opened dialogs:
Prevention of restart, exit or close of the last browser window, if some particular dialogs are opened,
which may need user's attention, interaction or intervention (optional, enabled by default - limited
functionality in versions older than v20).
- In versions 1.5 and 2, there is a simple restart dialog.
- In versions 3 - 19, the extension just modifies slightly the message of the embedded restart dialog,
to match the label of the check box of the dialog.
- In versions 20 +, there is a restart dialog, through which can be performed restart with session
restoration (default) or restart without session restoration.
This dialog is based on the embedded exit dialog of Firefox (not enabled by default).
Regarding this unique feature "restart without restoration", please be careful until you become
familiar with it. In this case, if you've set this feature as default (the restart dialog is not shown),
there is a warning dialog, enabled by default.
In any case, Firefox's feature "Restore Previous Session" will be a good friend ;-)
- Depending on the version of Firefox, there are the corresponding options for the available dialogs
and the available user interface items in extension's options window.
- In versions 29+, there is also a restart button at the bottom of the menu panel, between "Help"
and "Exit" buttons. This button can be removed.
- In versions 20 +, the extension alters the behavior of Firefox when closing private windows or exiting
from a private session, in order to address two problems:
- In case of a mixed session, Firefox by design saves the session of the last non-private window
only if the last private window is closed (not exit or restart).
The extension alters this behavior, so that the session of the last non-private window to be saved in
any case (exit or restart from a private session).
- Firefox does not show warning dialogs in all cases when closing private windows.
I consider this to be important, given that private windows can not be restored after closing them.
The extension shows special warning dialogs in all cases when closing private windows and when
exiting or restarting from private browsing mode.
In all dialogs that appear in private browsing, the default button is "Cancel".
Please let me know if you wish, if these two features work correctly in your environment too :-)
- In versions 20+ and in case of a mixed session, if the restart of Firefox is attempted in a private window,
the main restart dialog (if it hasn't been hidden) will be shown in a non-private window, to avoid any possible
confusion of some users who may think that private windows can be restored after restart.
A. Please do not use the review system for reporting any problems you may encounter.
Obviously i don't visit this page every day, so most likely i will not be informed, at least soon.
For reporting any problems or even suggestions too, you can contact me directly via the support email
at the right of this page.
B. If you use Firefox just for normal web browsing, please do not enable the option
"Invalidate Caches On Restart" !
No, there is not a hidden bomb behind..
Just this option is intended for special use by developers and makes Firefox to be restarted slower.
C. The extension uses internal strings of Firefox, in my effort to make it to be automatically localized
in all languages.
Due to this localization method, i can't be sure there are no problems in all languages.
Please let me know about this.
There are some strings, appearing in options window, which are not included in Firefox and so they
are not localized automatically.
If you wish to see them in your language, you can translate them easily by visiting
After you create an account there, you can find the thread of this extension here.
This page is part of the LegacyCollector website.
Disclaimer: All material on this site is property of their respective owners and available under
open licenses to the best of our knowledge. If you are an author and would like anything removed,
then please write an e-mail to legacy [at] collector dot org.