Home | Legacy Firefox Extensions | Content Policy | Contact
Local Filesystem Links
NOTE for previous users
Starting with Firefox 57, the addon requires you to install an additional helper application. Otherwise the addon cannot function properly. The details are explained in a first-run dialog when you install the addon.
This Firefox extension scans pages for file:/// links and makes it possible to open them with the system's file browser.
The extensions was created to assist people who like to use HTML pages to link to local files or files located on a network share. For example linking to local files from a wiki page.
Currently there are two methods of opening local file system links.
1) Automatic file link recognition
An automatic file link recognition scans for hyperlinks with a file:/// prefix.
For each of these hyperlinks a folder icon will be inserted on the right side of the hyperlink.
If you click the icon the local file link is opened with the system's file browser..
In case of a link to a directory, the file browser opens the directory.
In case of a link to a file, the file will be selected (NOT executed) in the file browser.
2) Page context menu entry
The extension adds an entry 'Open with Windows Explorer' to the page context menu that works on selected text.
It works as follows:
- Select a text portion that contains the path to a local file or folder (e. g. C:\Windows).
- Right click on the selection and choose 'Open with default file manager' from the context menu.
Supported file links
- Local disk file links like C:\Windows (file:///C:/Windows)
- Network share links (UNC paths) like \\server\folder\file.png (file://///server/folder/file.png). Note, that there are 5 slashes in a row after the file: part.
- Blanks in the path
- Does not work in Private Browsing mode or (which is the same) with history disabled
file:////home/, file:////bin/bash, file:///C:/Windows (does not work here, you have to use this test bed
This page is part of the LegacyCollector website.
Disclaimer: All material on this site is property of their respective owners and available under
open licenses to the best of our knowledge. If you are an author and would like anything removed,
then please write an e-mail to legacy [at] collector dot org.