Home | Legacy Firefox Extensions | Content Policy | Contact
SCYLighter is a Mozilla Firefox Add-on for intuitive webbrowsing using the browser Firefox. The user can highlight selections, comment them, collect a summary of web-pages and export it as an ELO to a webservice.
Using the Extension:
- The Add-on uses a sidebar for creating the "summary", which can be toggled
- Highlight Selections: Highlighted selections (multiline, multi-paragraph, containing Hyperlinks, etc.) are shown in the sidebar as a non-editable list with tooltips. The sources are automatically added to the sidebar.
- De-Highlight Selections: Delete highlighted selections from within context-menu or sidebar.
- The user can comment the summary and add some meta-data (title).
- Preview as HTML: A styled HTML-Page for preview functionality will be generated and displayed.
- Save ELO: XML data of the summary will be created and send to a webservice via HTTP including User-Data for authentication
- User and Server Data are stored in Firefox Browser-preferences.
- Localization: English and German localization at the moment. It is easy extendable (.properties and .dtd files)!
- Open sidebar: The extension mainly consists of a sidebar. To highlight parts of a webpage, first you have to open the sidebar (called SCY-Sidebar). You have to open the context-menu by right-clicking (windows) into your browser-frame and select "SCY-Sidebar". Alternatively you can use the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + S"
- Highlight Selection: Draw a selection on any webpage and open the context-menu on this selection (right-clicking on windows), choose "Highlight Selection". The Text will be highlighted (yellow) and a menuitem and a source appears in the sidebar. Alternatively you can drag and drop the text to the summary-box in the sidebar. You can also drag and drop images (not links to images!) into the sidebar (target is also the summary-box). Of Course, these actions are only available, when the sidebar is not hidden!
- Delete Selections: Open the context-menu on the selection you want to delete and choose "De-Highlight Selection" from the popup. Alternatively you can select (multiple) items in the summary-box and click the "Remove Selection" button below the summary-box.
- Preview Summary: If you want to see an html-representation of the whole summary, click the "Preview!"-button on the bottom of the sidebar-content. A new window is opened, which previews the summary, including the images (if you have dragged some to the summary-box).
- Save ELO: You can export the ELO to a webserver and use it later in SCYLab
This page is part of the LegacyCollector website.
Disclaimer: All material on this site is property of their respective owners and available under
open licenses to the best of our knowledge. If you are an author and would like anything removed,
then please write an e-mail to legacy [at] collector dot org.