Home | Legacy Firefox Extensions | Content Policy | Contact
Barlesque is an extension for Mozilla Firefox 4.x that reclaims useful window space by collapsing the wide grey add-on bar into a neat set of add-on buttons. This extension is Firefox 4.x-only, as add-on bar is a new feature (introduced in Firefox 4.0b7).
Extension implements this proposal of Jennifer Boriss from Mozilla user experience group:
Name of extension comes from the word Burlesque and the name of add-on bar UI element of Firefox 4.
Barlesque expects user to have the add-on bar switched on ("View" menu -> "Toolbars" -> check the "Add-on Bar").
You'll see the effect of extension immediately after installation; add-on bar won't be the solid horizontal band at the bottom, but will cover only a portion of the space instead. Also, you can quickly hide the add-on bar by clicking on the dark-grey down arrow icon at the left (if add-on bar is bound to the right edge of screen) or right (left edge of screen) side of add-on bar. Later you can expand the add-on bar with the same icon (it will show up-facing arrow).
You can customize some aspects of Barlesque behavior through the options dialog ("Tools" menu -> "Add-ons" item -> "Options" button of "Barlesque"):
All changes made through the options dialog take effect immediately.
- "Show the collapser icon" option allows you to show/hide a small collapser icon next to the add-on bar; this icon allows you to quickly collapse/expand the bar. By default, extension shows the icon.
- By default, extension doesn't persist the collapsed/expanded state of add-on bar between browser sessions; "Remember the collapsed/expanded state of the add-on bar" checkbox changes this.
- "Side the add-on bar is aligned to" option allows you to choose, obviously, the side of screen the add-on buttons are bound to. Default alignment is bottom-right corner of screen.
- "Position of add-on bar when find bar is shown" option allows you to decide how add-on bar behaves when find bar is called. Possible values are "on top" (default; add-on bar will be shown above the find bar), "overlaid" (add-on bar will be shown over the right side of add-on bar) and "hidden".
- You can switch on and customize the keyboard shortcut to collapse/expand the add-on bar.
- You can switch on and customize the keyboard shortcut to change the alignment (side of screen) for the add-on bar.
- You can switch on and customize the auto-collapse timer, that will automatically collapse the add-on bar after a given number of seconds. Time is counted from user's last interaction with add-on bar (hover, click, etc.) or the last event/notification happening in the add-on bar.
Please note that the default bottom-right positioning of the add-on bar may interfere with UI elements of some websites (e.g. Facebook chat). If you're frequent visitor to such sites, you may want to change the positioning of add-on bar through the options dialog (or even refrain from using the extension). You'd probably want to read the comments to the article linked above and this discussion on Mozillazine:
There are reports that Barlesque is incompatible with Personas; I'm currently looking into ways to fix this.
If you find this add-on useful, you may also like the Link Target Display and Firefox 4 UI Fixer extensions.
If you have any questions, bug reports or feature requests, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or write in Mozillazine support thread:
Please do not use the reviews section to get support or report bugs.
This page is part of the LegacyCollector website.
Disclaimer: All material on this site is property of their respective owners and available under
open licenses to the best of our knowledge. If you are an author and would like anything removed,
then please write an e-mail to legacy [at] collector dot org.