Text-to-Speech (Google™ & HTML5) is a text to speech extension for Firefox with natural sounding voices by using Google and HTML5 APIs.
1. Easy one-click text-to-speech via Google or HTML5 API
2. Auto detects language (no need to set input language each time)
3. Text-to-speech is enabled by holding "Alt", "T" or "Insert" key
4. Highlights selected text while text-to-speech is running.
5. Supports both Google and HTML5 TTS APIs (please see the options page for more details)
Note 1: In order for the highlight feature to work correctly, please select text paragraph-by-paragraph. However, highlight feature is still in Beta and may not work properly for all web-pages.
Note 2: Google TTS API has a limit; therefore after certain number of tries you may encounter the limit error. When you first install the Addon, the default active TTS API is HTML5. You can change it to Google from the options page.
Note 3: HTML5 TTS API has no limits; however it is still in Beta and may encounters crashes or errors. In order to enable HTML5 TTS API in Firefox please go to "about:config" page and search for "webspeech" keyword. Once you find "media.webspeech.synth.enables" item, right-click on it and click "Toggle" to enable it.
In general, Google TTS is more powerful and supports more languages comparing to HTML5 TTS. Once you switch from Google to HTML5 or vise versa, please restart Firefox for changes to make effect. In future versions more options will be added to both APIs.
Note 4: In order to report Bugs, please visit Addon's Homepage and fill the bug report form.